Already in Ancient Egypt or in classical Rome, citizens used olive oil as an ointment and balm to improve the appearance of their skin and hair.
Our hair gets damaged due to external agents and even more in summer, when it usually suffers the most. If you want stunning hair, learn these tips!
Benefits of oil for hair
Applying extra virgin olive oil to our hair will result in a strong, long, hydrated, shiny and nourished mane. All this, thanks to the impressive properties of extra virgin olive oil that will never cease to amaze us.
- Vitamin E and polyphenols. They strengthen our hair by caring and protecting it from external agents and cellular aging.
- Vitamin C. It stimulates the formation of collagen, which is responsible for providing firmness, elasticity, body and smoothness to our hair.
- Regenerative and calming power. The extra virgin olive oil strengthens the hair follicles in your scalp, thus slowing their fall. In addition, the soothing properties help treat conditions such as dandruff, psoriasis or irritation.
- Its nutritional composition slows the evaporation of water and provides lipids. This type of fat reinforces the cellular structure, making it possible for the extra virgin olive oil to penetrate the hair fibers reducing frizz.
- Hydration. Extra virgin olive oil is the hydration elixir and acts on our hair just as it does on our skin. By applying it constantly, we will be able to restore damaged areas such as split ends.
- Shine and nutrition. Extra virgin olive oil is one of the best natural moisturizers and therefore restores the elasticity, strength and shine of your hair. Our hair will never be dry and brittle again.
- Detox. Extra virgin olive oil protects our hair from chemical residues, such as parabens and sulfates present in many products for the hygiene of our hair.
Use and application advices
Using this treatment once a week (or 10-15 days if we have oily hair), will provide our hair with all these benefits. How do we apply it?
First, we select the most suitable olive oil: the extra virgin. It is the highest quality olive oil and the one that can bring us the most benefits.
Once we have the extra virgin olive oil, we apply it to our hair with the help of our hands, from roots to ends. We massage the scalp very well and, when we have finished, we collect the hair in a bun or ponytail.
Now, it’s time to let it act overnight, under a showercap or with a towel on the pillow. The next morning, we will wash it with great care to remove any traces of oil. We recommend that you apply the shampoo twice to ensure that there are no traces of extra virgin olive oil. If you prefer, wash your hair with warm water for an extra dose of shine. If you can’t spend all night with our hair on extra virgin olive oil, we should let it act for at least for 2 hours.
If you have a hectic pace of life, you can apply it too! When? When you go to the gym, for example, you can apply extra virgin olive oil to your hair and then wash it. The body heat itself will open the cuticle and the extra virgin olive oil will better penetrate the hair fiber. Another example is to use it on a beach day; thus, in addition, we will be protecting it from the sun, saltpeter, wind ...
Give your hair a second life using extra virgin olive oil!